Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thoughts of the day and something I've learned

Today was my first conversation with my tutor at LingQ, Rasana. It was a lot more helpful than I thought. Even though I only knew a few basic phrases and greetings, listening to her saying them helped with my understanding and comprehension so much more than just listening to the same audio multiple times. I think that every opportunity to practice (even if it is only from a small knowledge base) is useful for me right now. Since starting at LingQ I have heard many times about the importance of listening. Even at the beginning, every chance to listen to authentic, natural speaking that I understand is so valuable.

Going through my course at LingQ (which just has very simple dialogues) is providing me with a basis for further study. Like the dialogue I'm linking at the moment has phrases like "I'm going to the postshop" and this has made me think about the verb and how this word relates to this one in that context. It's like, this phrase is in this particular context, now I have to go and apply this to another context i.e. what would I say if my friend is going to cinema instead.

I have been thinking a lot about grammar recently. I understand the importance of learning words (lots and lots of words) but I also need the structure that grammar provides. So I've decided that each week I will choose a particular grammar point which is relevant to the content I'm studying and maybe not learn in by heart but at least get a vague understanding of it. Just so that when I'm doing my own writing, I will think, "ah yes, this verb ends in this... doesn't it have a different conjugation pattern because of it?" (I imagine this more of little alarm bells going off in my head) and then be able to go and clarify it. Slowly over time, as well as building up a vocabulary base, I will also build up some of the important grammar aspects of the language. We will see how successful this is :D

No comments:

Post a Comment