Sunday, July 12, 2009

What's been happening

Ok so I've decided to take a little break from Russian... I was really starting to not enjoy it so I thought it would be better to just postpone it for a bit until I got back my motivation. I think you and I both know that learning a language should never be a chore, there really isn't much point in doing it if you're not going to enjoy! I was listening to some really cool French songs the other day, so I've decided to play around with that for a bit. It's also on my unofficial pencil list of languages I really want to learn, so no harm really. Music is such a beautiful thing, and it really gets me excited and motivated to get into a language when I have good songs to listen to in it. That's just me.

Back to Russian though, I found a course on the internet (http://www.gefix.net/sazov/) which looked really good. It was written for and used by mainly degree level students, which is perfect for me as it is written in a style that I'm familiar with. The 'textbook' is free though you will have to pay for the audio cd's to be sent to you (at reasonable price). When I decide to get started with Russian again I'm going to take my time and work through this course using the LingQ method. Hopefully this will get me up to a level where I will be able to hold small conversations and get through basic content in the LingQ library (here's hoping).

Well my holidays are officially over in 20 minutes and I will be back at Uni. That back to German lectures which I really enjoy. We have such a small chance that we get a lot of opportunity to speak with the lecturer. We work through a textbook and we also have a really good workbook which, at the end of each chapter, offers an outline for doing a written composition (or journal). Heh, my little epiphany... "why don't I submit these journal entries in LingQ" (as they're not marked in my course). Wow... I am a clever boy :D. I'm really looking forward to having my first German conversation with my tutor. I guess it will just give me a real sense of achievement, but I'm not going to force it. I will be ready when I'm ready.

If anyone has worked through the Russian course I'm going to use (the link is above), then I'd love for you to get in touch and let me know how it went for you.

1 comment: